How to Bring Your Mom to USA On Visit Visa: A Step-by-Step Guide

If you’re living in the USA and have a mom living abroad, you may be wondering how you can bring her to the US to visit you. While the process may seem overwhelming, it’s not impossible.

In this article, we’ll provide you with a step-by-step guide on how to bring your mom to the USA to visit you.

Check Your Eligibility

To bring your mom to the USA, you must be a US citizen, an temporary visa holder or a permanent resident.

If you’re a US citizen, you can apply for a visitor visa or a green card for your mom. However, if you’re a permanent resident, you can only apply for a visitor visa for your mom. The same goes for temporary work visas like H1B and student visas.

Understand the Visitor Visa Category

To bring your mom to the USA for a visit, you need to apply for a B-2 visa.

This visa is issued to people who want to visit the USA for tourism, medical treatment, or to visit friends and family. It’s essential to note that a visitor visa is not a work visa, and your mom cannot work or study in the USA on this visa.

Gather the Required Documents

To apply for a visitor visa, your mom needs to provide specific documents. These include a valid passport, a photograph, a copy of the DS-160 confirmation page, and evidence of financial support.

You may also need to provide additional documents, such as a letter of invitation, to prove the purpose of the visit.

Complete the Nonimmigrant Visa Application

Your mom needs to complete the Nonimmigrant Visa Application online and submit it with the required documents. The DS-160 form is available on the US Department of State’s website, and you must ensure that your mom completes the form accurately and truthfully.

Schedule and Attend the Visa Interview

Once your mom completes the Nonimmigrant Visa Application, she needs to schedule a visa interview at the nearest US embassy or consulate.

At the interview, your mom must answer questions about the purpose of her visit and her ties to her home country. If the visa is approved, it will be attached to her passport.

Prepare for Your Mom’s Arrival in the USA

Before your mom arrives in the USA, make sure to prepare for her visit.

This includes booking her flight tickets, arranging for her accommodation, and ensuring that she has enough money to cover her expenses.

It’s also essential to familiarize your mom with US customs and culture, so she feels comfortable during her stay.

Can I bring my mom to the USA on a tourist visa?

Yes, you can bring your mom to the USA on a tourist visa, also known as a B-2 visa.

Can my mom work or study in the USA on a tourist visa?

No, your mom cannot work or study in the USA on a tourist visa. The visa is only for tourism, medical treatment, or visiting friends and family.

How long can my mom stay in the USA on a tourist visa?

Your mom can stay in the USA on a tourist visa for up to six months. If she wants to stay longer, she needs to apply for an extension.

Leave a Comment


Flamingo Villas
Ajman Media City,
UAE 4422

Visiting Parent Logo

Get Updates